"I've been thinking about your Christmas present."
Not surprising since he asked me to send him a list of things I might like. I sent it to him this morning - a request for various books and socks and unassuming presents.
"Well, you know how you've sorta mentioned if you got another laptop, you'd get a Mac?"
Sorta mentioned? Um, yeah, I have mentioned that in the past - quite seriously because I'm fed up with popups and viruses and all that cr*p you have to put up with from Microsoft.
"Well," he continued, clearing his throat numerous times, which is a sure indicator, folks, that he's leading up to something and is trying to ease his way into the conversation. "I ... um, there's a guy here with an iBook. It's a G3, with an 800 mhz processor, and he's upgraded the RAM and ..."
I zone out. Sort of. Because I know what's coming. "How much?"
"He's thrown in a DVD burner you can plug in because it doesn't have one built in. It's four years old, but it's got Jaguar or Panther or something as the operating system."
"GG? How. Much?"
He tells me the price, and honest, it wasn't that expensive. But the couple hundred bucks he quotes could go toward the chimney that needs rebricking, and we really need eavestroughing ... and the next payment on Curly's band trip to Disneyworld is due on Thursday. (By the way,Curly's passport arrived in the mail today. It took them less than a week to process it and get it out - frickin' amazing) .
So now it's my turn to hmm and haw.
"Um, yeah, well, see anyway ..." Another throat clearing. "I, um, already bought it. I've got it in the car."
I stifle my urge to growl ... ah, heck, it's too late, the money's spent and it's nice that he was listening to me and thinking of me.
"But..." Is he aware he's digging his own grave as he continues, because as soon as I hear that 'but', I'm onto him. "I wasn't sure if you'd be okay with getting a Christmas present that was used."
Translation: "I bought it for myself by telling myself that it was for you, but now I have it I really really really want to keep it for me alone. After all, it's a new Gizmo, and I'm the Gizmo Guy and it's got all these neat buttons and lights. There's all these cool places to plug things in down the side and ... I want to play with it!"
And yes, he's sitting in the family room even now happily playing with his newest Gizmo. So now we have yet another computer in our home. That makes:
- my desktop computer
- Gizmo Guy's 2 desktops (or is it 3 now) - he's got two running on his desk as I type this but I think he's got a skeleton shoved under the desk while he tries to figure out how it could be wired in to the others.
- the boys' game computer in the basement
- Curly's salvaged desktop in his room
- My Sony laptop
- Gizmo Guy's Toshiba laptop (don't even begin to ask the story behind how he conned me into letting him buy that one - I still grind my teeth over it. "You can use it too," he said. HA!)
- Gizmo Guy's Panasonic laptop (to be fair, this one was provided by his work, he doesn't own it.)
- Gizmo Guy's IBM Lenovo laptop (one he got used but keeps at work because he's not allowed to load anything like games or personal stuff on his work laptop) so he uses this one to check his personal email and do his writing when things get slow (which they haven't been in over a year)
- Gizmo Guy's really really old laptop with a 486 processor. Yes, it still works, but it's Windows 95 for Pete's sake, so nothing will run on it. However, he loves it and refuses to part with it so it's still taking up a shelf on the bookcase in the office.
- Curly's salvaged laptop that can't run on battery power since GG broke the battery connection right after he brought it home. (did I mention GG brought home another salvaged one for Curly the other day? GG scavenged parts from Curly's working laptop and ... well, it didn't work, it kept rebooting every 5 minutes. So GG had to reassemble Curly's original laptop and get it working again. It took him the entire week he was off. Thankfully it's no longer cluttering up the couch in the living room. I convinced him to put out in the Clean Up Week last week.)
- and now the iBook which I hope to get my hands on once GG goes into work on Monday.
But he's Gizmo Guy and I knew that going in, and I love him.
But I am SO snatching that iBook from underhim.