The talented (and introverted she tries to tell us) Christine d'Abo tagged me for this meme. As I said to her, I'm not sure I can come up with six random things I haven't already blogged about but I'll see what I can come up with.
a. Link to the person who tagged you.
b. Post the rules on your blog.
c. Write six random things about yourself.
d. Tag six random people at the end of your post by linking to their blogs.
e. Let each person know they have been tagged by leaving a comment at their blog.
f. Let your tagger know when your entry is up.
1. I was born in Montreal, and grew up near Ottawa where we had two television channels, one English and one French. I used to understand French - would translate what they said on TV for my mother, a non-French speaker. But then we moved closer to Toronto and I lost it. But every now and then I swear there's a French woman inside me clawing to get out. Oh, wait, that's just the demon who possesses me.
2. When I first moved to Toronto after I was married, I used to work for a security company as an assistant to the chief of security. I summarized their daily reports, organized time sheets, etc. but was also in charge of making the security passes for every member entering the buildings, and occasionally had to deal with emergency calls. One day I answered a phone call from a client telling me there was an armed robbery in progress, complete with Halloween masks and shotguns, and another was a bomb threat. I was the only female surrounded by 70+ mainly former military men. Not to mention Christmas parties that including Toronto's SWAT and bomb squads. I learned a lot about their codes of honor, and their senses of humor and still use some of them as examples for characters.
3. Considering I used to hobnob with law enforcement officers, I'm a law-breaker. Deliberately. I live near the town's airport, and they've got a bylaw forbidding people within a certain distance of the airport from having birdfeeders. I live within that distance. But even so, I have two birdfeeders that I fill every day because I love watching the birds - I have blue jays, and white throated sparrows, a pair of cardinals, yellow bellied sapsuckers, flickers, two different types of woodpeckers, and a whole host of others. I love watching them and keep a pair of binoculars and my camera handy at all times. Even when some birds eat the others - like the sharp-shinned hawks and northern shrikes. It's fascinating.
4. I'm terrified of dentists. It probably comes from being forced to watch my eldest sister have a tooth extracted before I had my first 'visit' at the age of four. The dentist then tied me to his chair so he could have see what needed to be done to me. A psycholologist I once worked for gave me meditation and breathing exercises to do to try to overcome it. I will go, and on the outside I look fairly relaxed but inside I'm screaming and terrified. A phone call from the dentist just about causes panic attacks.
5. I used to sing in a choir as a kid, had a good enough voice that I was asked to sing solos. But now I can't carry a tune if you handed it to me in a bucket. Never ask me to sing if you value your ears. If you want someone to sing for you, ask Marley - she sings like an angel. I'm trying to get her to make a CD of her songs. I'd buy it.
6. I'm horrible with houseplants. I either overwater them or forget to water them completely. Now don't get me wrong, I LOVE having greenery around. I just am not good with them. Makes you wonder why I ever dared having kids. But then again, maybe I've over/under watered them too.
So now I have to tag some people Most times I think of tagging people for meme's as the modern equivalent of a chain letter, plus most of the people whom I read have already been tagged :( I could only come up with a few names who I thought might get a kick out of it.
Cora? How do you feel about doing a meme?