Nano Day 6:
Since November 1st, I've written 12,080 words for my story for NaNo. Sounds good, right?
Not so good when you take a look at the document and Word Count displays 5902.
I wrote 1600 words on Thursday, added another 1700 on Friday. Woohoo! Then on Saturday the horrible internal editor kicked in and 1200 words got deleted. But I kept plugging on - added almost another 4800 in the next couple days.
Yesterday afternoon, that evil, horrible, nasty, irritating editor started banging around in my head again . Told me that I needed to make my heroine stronger. Told me that the storyline wasn't going to work the way it was structured. Told me I had to get my hero and my heroine into the lab to ... well, not going there. (No, they're not doing the nasty! Get your mind out of the gutter. They're saving the world! Or at least an endangered race.) Suffice it to say some major changes had to be made if I wanted the story to work.
So last night I fiddled around and experimented with a new beginning - the heroine's in a new location, and in a new job and she's in on the action in a much involved position. It was only about 500 words, but it made me realize that dreaded Evil Voice was right - the direction definitely needed to change. Made me so depressed I went to bed right after Gizmo Guy got home from work.
But I'm nothing if not determined. This morning I tossed chapter one. Gone. Never to be seen again.(No, I don't really delete them, just won't open it again - it's there to use somewhere else if I really want to.)
I started writing from the very beginning again - wrote over 3600 words today. Luckily I've discovered I can save most of chapter 2 which lets me keep 2300 words from Sunday and Monday which were scenes from later in the book, they'll still work so it's not all gone. But while I'm making that 1600 word mark for each day, I really need to stop cutting words out.
**Edited** I just read a reply to a post I did over at Six Degrees of Sexy on this topic. Where I was told I should go back and fix that AFTER. Rats. I should have gone back and read the blogs while I was chopping. Could have saved myself some work. What I've done as a result is copied the deleted chapter back into the doc with a note to delete it later. So I'm back up to 10,000 words. Even though 2,000 of them won't be used. Although you never know if it may be woven back in later.
Ah, well, I'm still happy with the way the story's going. I'll just keep plugging away.